Wednesday, February 6, 2019

The Journey





My journey  has been one of mixed roads and paths that have lead me to where I am right now. One thing that I have found and am in awe of is the constant grace that the Lord has extended to me to find myself here. Here, obviously a good place to be. Even so, I press on toward more and even higher ground. 
Just today God has enlightened my mind and so my very life with His love and mercy by speaking to me through His word. This living and breathing book that I cherish and treasure speaks to me daily, but sometimes there’s just this special breath that has breathed and its now a message to the very core of my being; a message that I can choose to incorporate deep within me or let it fall to the ground and slip away. Not the latter, not today!

If you’ve ever stood and believed for something, been desperate with no other hope except a miraculous move of God then this is for you. If you or someone you know is in the fight of their life, but wondering where God has been then you are exactly who I’m supposed to share with today.

Being diagnosed with terminal cancer 4 years ago set me on quite a rocky path, but has lead me to a deeper relationship than I ever thought possible with my Lord and savior Jesus Christ. I was no stranger to faith and had exercised my beliefs often, especially for my children and loved ones. I’m not sure why it’s easier to believe for someone else than for yourself, but that’s what I found when faced with a case for either God to intervene or to meet Him face to face at heaven’s gate.
Surprisingly for me, this journey would take me all the way back to the foundation, to the beginning of what do I believe and why before I could truly stand and say, “I believe!” To go forward, I had to go backward first. Trust me, backward is not a place you want to be. I guess it’s that wilderness place that everyone encounters at some point. I think my wilderness was the driest desert that ever existed and I’m quite sure I spent way too much time finding my way out of there than was necessary! Even so, I learned much, grew a lot and am so very thankful when I look back I see two sets of footprints in that sand. I wouldn’t have ever made it out had He not held me up.
The worst part of finding your true faith is the doubt and unbelief that attacks you. I actually encountered the enemy seething words at me that it’s not true, that it’s not real and that there’s not any hope for me. In times of weakness I was taken down by these thoughts and that lead to deeper drought of the Holy Spirit in my life. When you have no faith it’s impossible to please God, without God there is no hope.. and the vicious cycle continued. I had to make a stand, I would have to take that stand and never look back.. 
“I believe!”

I believe, but… does God really love me enough to heal me? I believe, but.. God didn’t heal “that person, or this person, so why would He heal me?.. I believe, but.. is it even His will to heal me..

I knew one day without a shadow of doubt that I was healed. God spoke to me, breathed His healing breath upon me and I will not let that be stolen from me. It wasn’t an instantaneous healing though and my body has not shown the manifestation of His promise, though I patiently wait with anticipation for that day.

In the meantime, in the waiting, I have found the most wonderful and beautiful encounters with Jesus. His love and mercy continue to wash over me daily and I wouldn’t trade what I’ve experienced with Him for any amount of healing. The showers of refreshing are always in the waiting, it’s when you are expecting and hoping, putting your trust and faith in nothing but His promises that you can look into His eyes and know His pure love. Without having received that thing that you want because you’ve realized that’s not what you really want, you just want Him, only need Him..

“Who is this coming up from the wilderness, leaning on her beloved? 
I awakened you under the apple tree. There your mother brought you forth; there she who bore you brought you forth.
Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm; 
For love is as strong as death, jealousy as cruel as the grave; its flames are flames of fire, a most vehement flame.
Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it. If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house it would be utterly despised.”                 
    Song of Solomon 8:5-7 

So gently and sweetly He speaks to my heart from Mark 9:23-24.                            
My Jesus said,

 “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”
“Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears,
“Lord, I believe, help my unbelief!”

Honestly, I couldn’t believe my eyes, couldn’t trust my ears. I’ve read these verses so many times and quoted the scriptures, but I had not ever grasped the truth of what Jesus said and why.

Earlier in the passage, verses 14-18 we see that this father had watched while the disciples tried to cast out his sons demon that he’d had since childhood, but they could not. Not only had they failed but the demon had put on a big show in front of everyone foaming at the mouth and convulsing. Because of their failure the father had lost hope and was struggling to believe. He wanted to believe Jesus, but he’d been shaken, his faith had been attacked and he’d seen the power of the enemy right before his very eyes.

But, Jesus said, 
“If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”

So, the father chose to believe Jesus, not what he had seen or heard and his son was delivered! Now, this is faith! I have to admit, my faith had been shaken by what I’ve seen around me and by what I haven’t seen. I’ve compared myself to others and thought if they didn’t get healed why would I? But, that’s not truth. Truth is Jesus said that all things are possible to him who believes! I believe! Just because it wasn’t true or didn’t happen for someone else doesn’t mean it won’t happen for me! The enemy is stealing our faith by demonstrating his lies in front of us and we set our eyes on that instead of the truth of the gospel!

What about His perfect will though, how do we know that He wants to heal us? There seems to be that small voice in the back of our minds reminding us it might not be His will. How can we be sure? Well, this is what my Bible says:
“Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.”  1John 5:14-15

So, there’s this confidence that we have and there are these promises that most all of us are believing and standing on. I know for me, Psalm 91 has been one of my go to declarations and I believe those words are for me, do you believe?

“He shall call upon Me and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him 
and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him, and show him My salvation.”                    Psalm 91:15-16

God’s salvation includes deliverance, health, welfare, prosperity, and victory! This word salvation also comes from a word that includes avenging, defending, preserving and rescue! These are His promises to us; this is His will for us- long life and health! 
This is our petition, this is our confidence:
“…who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness- by whose stripes you were healed.” 1Peter 2:24

Either all of the word of God is true and the scriptures are to be believed or none of it is. I have to take it all, believe it all and if I believe I must stand on that truth and not be swayed or look at the tricks of the enemy. Everything else is in the hands of God.
I hope and pray for you that in the waiting you find strength, that you experience the deep love of Jesus and that your prayers are answered according to His great love for us! It will take a real and deep encounter with our savior to take a stand and not be shaken, but oh the joy and love once we’re in that place. 
“I believe!”

Blessings,
Joann Walters                                                                       
2/01/19

No comments: